Utah Courts

Pardon our dust!
While we move to a new website design, some pages, like this one, will look like the old website.

If you can't find what you're looking for, try our new website search.

We appreciate your patience while we move everything to the new design.

Home Page
Previous Page

Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.


Login to MyCase

A MyCase account is not required to attend a hearing.

We have created an easy guide to help walk you through how to participate in a remote court hearing.


Access your case information online using MyCase. MyCase is an online system available from the Utah State Courts. You can use MyCase to:

  • View your case history (a record of what has happened in your case)
  • View the papers that have been filed in your case
  • Make payments
  • File documents in your existing Debt Collection, Eviction, and Small Claims case

Although you can only file documents in a limited number of case types, you can access your case information for these types of cases:

  • Conservatorship cases
  • Contract cases
  • Criminal cases that are common - including infractions, misdemeanors, and felonies
  • Debt Collection
  • Divorce
  • Eviction
  • Guardianship cases, including guardianship of a minor, guardianship of an adult, and guardianship of a disabled child
  • Name change cases
  • Probate cases for the appointment of a personal representative
  • Temporary Separation

Both open and closed cases can be accessed in the system. MyCase is available in all district and justice court locations.

There is no fee to use any of these features in MyCase.

Is your case type not listed above? You ask the Self-Help Center for your case information. If you need to look up your case right away, you can use Xchange. There is a small fee for this online service.

Who can use MyCase

MyCase is only for parties to a case. A party is someone suing or being sued in a lawsuit. This is usually the petitioner or plaintiff and the respondent or defendant. You can only use MyCase to view cases in which you are a party. MyCase is NOT for:
  • Businesses, unless they are a party to a small claims case that involves online dispute resolution.
  • Lawyers – they should use their eFiling provider to access case information.
  • Researchers – they should use Xchange.

How to sign up

Visit the MyCase page and click "Create a new MyCase account" to sign up. You will need:

  • an email address,
  • your case number, and
  • your government issued ID.

The system will verify your identity and then send you an email with instructions on how to access the system. If you don’t receive an email, please check your spam folder.

If you have problems creating an account email mycase@utcourts.gov.

MyCase is only for the Utah State Courts

MyCase for the Utah State Courts is different from the service available from the Department of Workforce Services. It is also different from any other service any law firm or other organization uses.

Filing papers through MyCase

You can file papers using MyCase for some case types (debt collection, eviction, and small claims). This is available under eDocument Preparation when you click File an eDocument.

When you file your papers in MyCase they are considered submitted. The date you submit your papers is the date your papers are filed. However, court staff must review your papers for them to be accepted and a part of your case. If they accept your papers a day after you submit them your papers will still be considered filed on the date you submitted them.

When you file a paper in MyCase you will be able to see the document listed right away as submitted. Make sure you view the home screen to confirm that your document was submitted.

When you file papers in MyCase you need to serve them on the other parties in your case. Service must be under URCP 5. See our explanation of Service of Other Papers for more information.

Returned papers

If your papers have been returned, you can review them to see why. Returned papers will show up under eDocument Preparation showing a status that says “Revisions Needed.” Click the red exclamation mark to read why the papers were returned. Click on the title or your papers to make any needed changes. If you resubmit papers, they will be considered filed on the date you resubmit them.

Any papers filed in MyCase must still be served on all the other parties in the case. See our page on Serving Papers for more information.

Changing papers after you have filed them

After a paper has been submitted in MyCase it cannot be removed unless the court staff return your papers. If you need to make corrections to a document you filed then you can file an amended pleading. Utah Rule of Civil Procedure 15 describes the rules for filing an amended pleading.

Notifications in MyCase

You might not receive all notifications about your case through MyCase. Although you can sign up to receive email or text notifications, you still need to check the US mail and your email.

Viewing other cases

If you have more than one court case, you can ask to have those cases linked to your MyCase account. This option is available under My Profile. It could take a few days to process your request. Not all case types can be added at this time.

When your cases have been linked you can view all linked cases by clicking on the case number drop down menu in the upper left-hand corner. When you click on one of the cases in the menu, MyCase will display the case information for the case you selected.

A screenshot of the online MyCase application. A large green arrow points to the case number drop down menu.

Related Information

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 10/11/2022

Return to the top of the page Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×