This rule establishes the Committee on Fairness and Accountability to serve as a core leadership team for the Office of Fairness and Accountability. One purpose of the committee is to provide support and guidance to the Office of Fairness and Accountability, and to provide expertise and guidance to the Judicial Council regarding how to best support the work of the Office of Fairness and Accountability.
This rule applies to the judiciary.
Statement of the Rule
The Committee on Fairness and Accountability shall:
(1) Advise the Director of the Office of Fairness and Accountability (Director) regarding the development of baseline metrics of demographic data for individuals who interact with the judiciary.
(2) Develop a strategic plan with the Director for the Office of Fairness and Accountability and submit the strategic plan to the Judicial Council for approval. The committee may form subcommittees to develop the strategic plan. The strategic plan shall include the Judiciary’s goals and policy directives for meeting the court’s mission for the open, fair and efficient administration of justice under the law while also being responsive to the state’s cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, linguistic, physical, gender, and age diversities. Branch efforts in this regard will strive to eliminate bias and the appearance of bias, meet the needs of increasing numbers of self-represented litigants, remain receptive to the needs of all branch constituents, ensure that court procedures are fair and understandable, and provide culturally responsive programs and services.
(3) Once the initial strategic plan is approved by the Judicial Council, assist the Director with:
(3)(A) Determining which stakeholder groups should be involved in determining how to implement the strategic plan;
(3)(B) Appointing a functional team or teams; and
(3)(C) Facilitating the work of the functional team(s) to develop implementation plans and provide feedback about the strategic plan to the Committee on Fairness and Accountability;
(4) Receive input from the functional team(s) and determine if changes to the strategic plan should be recommended to the Judicial Council.
(5) Assist the Director with communicating the strategic plan to the judiciary.
(6) Assist the Director with monitoring Court progress in implementing the strategic plan and developing metrics.
(7) Provide expertise and support to the Director when the Director interacts with the Judicial Council, the benches, and the districts.
(8) Assist the Director in cooperating with the executive and legislative branches to implement the strategic plan.