Utah Courts

Pardon our dust!
While we move to a new website design, some pages, like this one, will look like the old website.

If you can't find what you're looking for, try our new website search.

We appreciate your patience while we move everything to the new design.


Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.

URCP Rule 60 (Rules of Civil Procedure)


Rule 60. Relief from judgment or order.
Rule printed on June 2, 2023 at 8:46 am. Go to https://www.utcourts.gov/rules for current rules.
Effective: 5/1/2016

(a) Clerical mistakes. The court may correct a clerical mistake or a mistake arising from oversight or omission whenever one is found in a judgment, order, or other part of the record. The court may do so on motion or on its own, with or without notice. After a notice of appeal has been filed and while the appeal is pending, the mistake may be corrected only with leave of the appellate court.

(b) Mistakes; inadvertence; excusable neglect; newly discovered evidence; fraud, etc. On motion and upon just terms, the court may relieve a party or its legal representative from a judgment, order, or proceeding for the following reasons:

(b)(1) mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect;

(b)(2) newly discovered evidence which by due diligence could not have been discovered in time to move for a new trial under Rule 59(b);

(b)(3) fraud (whether previously called intrinsic or extrinsic), misrepresentation or other misconduct of an opposing party;

(b)(4) the judgment is void;

(b)(5) the judgment has been satisfied, released, or discharged, or a prior judgment upon which it is based has been reversed or vacated, or it is no longer equitable that the judgment should have prospective application; or

(b)(6) any other reason that justifies relief.

(c) Timing and effect of the motion. A motion under paragraph (b) must be filed within a reasonable time and for reasons in paragraph (b)(1), (2), or (3), not more than 90 days after entry of the judgment or order or, if there is no judgment or order, from the date of the proceeding. The motion does not affect the finality of a judgment or suspend its operation.

(d) Other power to grant relief. This rule does not limit the power of a court to entertain an independent action to relieve a party from a judgment, order or proceeding or to set aside a judgment for fraud upon the court. The procedure for obtaining any relief from a judgment shall be by motion as prescribed in these rules or by an independent action.

Advisory Committee Notes

The 1998 amendment eliminates as grounds for a motion the following: "(4) when, for any cause, the summons in an action has not been personally served upon the defendant as required by Rule 4(e) and the defendant has failed to appear in said action." This basis for a motion is not found in the federal rule. The committee concluded the clause was ambiguous and possibly in conflict with rule permitting service by means other than personal service.

2016 amendments

The deadlines for a motion are as stated in this rule, but if a motion under paragraph (b) is filed within 28 days after the judgment, it will have the same effect on the time to appeal as a motion under Rule 50, 52, or 59. See the 2016 amendments to Rule of Appellate Procedure 4(b).

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last modified: 3/29/2022

Return to the top of the page Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS

Close ×