Utah Courts

Pardon our dust!
While we move to a new website design, some pages, like this one, will look like the old website.

If you can't find what you're looking for, try our new website search.

We appreciate your patience while we move everything to the new design.

Home Page
Previous Page

Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.

Name Change - Adult

Changing Your Name

An adult may obtain a court order legally changing his or her name. You can choose any name you wish so long as you do not intend to commit a crime and you do not interfere with the rights of others.

However, just because you use a new name, the rest of the world (especially institutions and public agencies) may want to see legal proof of your new name. Legal documents like a marriage certificate or a court order may be needed to prove your name change.

There are several reasons you may want to change your name, including:

  • marriage
  • divorce
  • because you want to officially change your sex or gender
  • because the name you have been using most of your life is different from the name on your birth certificate
  • because you just want a different name

Minimum Requirements for a Court-Ordered Name Change

You must...

  • Live in the county where the name change petition will be filed for at least one year before filing.
  • Be 18 or older.

You cannot request a name change...

  • While you are involved in any kind of lawsuit, or while you are on probation or parole.
  • If you are barred as a child abuse offender from changing your name. (Utah Code Section 77-43-105(7)).
  • To avoid creditors, fines, or sentences in criminal actions.
  • For an unworthy motive, or to commit fraud on the public.
  • To change your name to something bizarre, unduly lengthy, ridiculous, or offensive to common decency and good taste.

Petition for Name Change

To ask the court for a name change, you will need to fill out all the forms in the Forms section below, file them with the court, and go to the scheduled hearing. If you are changing your name because of marriage or divorce, please see those sections below.

Certification Regarding Sex and Kidnap Offender Registry and Child Abuse Offender Registry

The first step in the name change process is to request a certification from the Utah Department of Corrections Offender Registration Program showing whether you are on the Sex and Kidnap Offender Registry or the Child Abuse Offender Registry. Fill out the form and mail it and a self-addressed stamped envelope to the Offender Registration Program at the address listed on the form. If you do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope, the Offender Registration Program will not return the form to you. It may take some time for the Offender Registration Program to complete the form and return it to you.

  • If you are on the Child Abuse Offender Registry you cannot change your name.
  • If you are on the Sex and Kidnap Offender Registry you must convince the court that it is not against the public interest for you to change your name


When you file your required forms with the court, the court will schedule a hearing.

If you are on the Sex and Kidnap Offender Registry, you must send a Notice of Hearing on Petitioner for Name Change to the Offender Registration Program at least 30 days before the hearing. You can mail or email the notice of hearing to:

Offender Registration Program
14717 South Minuteman Drive
Draper, UT 84020

You must go to the hearing. At the hearing, the judge may ask you questions about your name change request.

Name Change Because of Marriage

When you marry, you can keep your own name or take your spouse's name. For example: Jane Smith and Tony Jones marry

  • Jane changes her last name to Jones, or
  • Tony changes his last name to Smith.

Tony Perez-Garcia and José Gómez marry

  • Tony changes his last name to Gómez
  • Jose changes his last name to Perez-Garcia.

Whatever your choice, follow the steps in the Changing Identification and Records section.

Name Change Because of Divorce

When you get divorced, you can ask the judge to make a formal order in your divorce decree to restore your former name or birth name. The decree should state clearly the married name and the name being restored to you after the divorce. If your divorce decree includes this order, it is the only court order you will need to change your identification and records.

If you changed your name when you got married but did not ask to restore your former name as part of the divorce case, you must file a Petition for Name Change with the court.

Unless the judge orders you to notify your ex-spouse or other persons (which is rare), you do not need to notify anyone about your request to the court to change your name.

Once the court has ordered your name changed, follow the steps in the Changing Identification and Records section.

Changing Your Name as Part of a Sex or Gender Change Case

You may want to ask the court to change your name as part of a sex or gender change case. See our Petition for Sex Change (Gender Marker Change) page for more information.

Changing Identification and Records

Once you have your new name, you need to tell others about it. Start by getting a new driver license or state I.D. card, and a new Social Security card. Once you have a driver license and Social Security card with your new name, you can use them to let others know about your new name.

Driver License or State I.D.

Information about getting a driver license or a Utah I.D. card with your new name is available on the Driver License Division website. You will need to provide legal proof of the name change with a state-certified birth certificate, marriage certificate, a certified court order (like a divorce decree or name change order), or some other legal documents like citizenship papers.

Social Security Card

Information about getting a Social Security card with your new name is available on the Social Security Administration's website.

Be sure to tell both the Social Security Administration and your employer about your new name to ensure that your employer reports your earnings correctly, and that they are recorded correctly in Social Security's records.

Other Parties to Notify

Consider contacting these people and institutions about your name change:

  • Family
  • Friends
  • Employers
  • School
  • Post Office
  • Library
  • Health care providers
  • Landlord or tenants
  • Mortgage companies
  • Telephone and other utility companies
  • Insurance companies
  • Banks and other financial institutions
  • Creditors and debtors
  • State and local taxing authorities
  • Registrar of voters
  • Public benefits agencies
  • Veterans Administration
  • Passport office
  • DMV to change vehicle registriation
  • Any other institution or agency with which you have regular contact

Contact the people and the institutions you deal with and ask what they need to make your name change official in their records. Institutions like banks, investment companies, and insurance companies may have you complete their own form, and will also want proof of your identification. In the case of a name change due to marriage, they may want to see your marriage certificate and some other proof of identity like a driver's license.

Update Legal Documents

Update other legal documents like your will, advance health care directive, and power of attorney for financial matters to show your new name.

Changing Your Birth Certificate

After you have a court order changing your name, you can change the name on your birth certificate if you wish.

Contact the Utah Office of Vital Records and Statistics to make the change. You can do this in person, or by mail. The mail process usually takes several weeks. You will need to provide a certified copy of the court order.

For birth certificates issued in states other than Utah, consult the Where to Write for Vital Records page for contact information.


There is a filing fee for a name change petition, and a fee for a certified copy of the final order If you cannot afford to pay the filing fee, you can ask the court to consider waiving that fee. See our webpages on Fees and Fee Waivers for more information and forms.


Required forms

  • Department of Corrections Certification Regarding Sex and Kidnap Offender Registry and Child Abuse Offender Registry - PDF
    (Complete this process first.)
  • Cover Sheet for Probate Actions - PDF | Word
  • Petition for Name Change - PDF | Word
  • Order on Petition for Name Change - PDF | Word

Optional forms

  • Notice for Hearing on Petition for Name Change - PDF | Word
    (Required if the petitioner is on the Sex and Kidnap Offender Registry, or if the judge orders the petitioner to notify other parties of the name change petition)

Related Information

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 7/18/2022

Return to the top of the page Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×