Utah Courts

Pardon our dust!
While we move to a new website design, some pages, like this one, will look like the old website.

If you can't find what you're looking for, try our new website search.

We appreciate your patience while we move everything to the new design.

Parking closure information for Matheson Courthouse  /  Información sobre el cierre del estacionamiento de Matheson

Home Page
Previous Page

Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.

Small Estates

Attention! This is general information about small estate affidavits. A small estate affidavit may not be appropriate for your situation. If you have questions about using a small estate affidavit, get advice from an attorney.

Small Estate Affidavit

Utah law allows someone handling the estate of a person who died (the decedent) with a "small estate" to use a small estate affidavit to collect personal property (such as money in a bank account, jewelry, clothing, and furniture) instead of going through the probate process. Utah Code 75-3-1201.

There is a separate affidavit that can be used to claim title to up to four boats, motor vehicles, trailers, or semi-trailers registered under Utah law. This affidavit is presented to the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles to transfer title of those vehicles or boats.

A small estate affidavit is not filed with the court. Instead, the decedent's successor fills out the form, signs it in front of a notary, and gives it to any third parties, such as the bank.


A small estate affidavit may be used if:

  • the entire value of the estate is under $100,000,
  • there is no real property,
  • at least 30 days have passed since the death, and
  • no application for appointment of personal representative has been filed.

A small estate affidavit cannot be used to transfer title to real property like land or a house.

If the estate does not meet the requirements listed above, it may be necessary to open a probate case instead. See the Informal Probate web page for information about that process.


Related Information

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 7/18/2022

Return to the top of the page Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×